Tiefer See vom Park Babelsberg mit Glienicker Brücke © TMB Fotoarchiv/Boettcher
Close map
0331 27558899Service line
New Palace view to the side of the garden, Photo: © SPSG Leo Seidel
New Palace in winter, photo: TMB/Kroeger/SPSG
Palace theatre in the New Palace
New Palace view to the side of the garden, Photo: © SPSG Leo Seidel
New Palace in winter, photo: TMB/Kroeger/SPSG

Contact


Am Neuen Palais
14469 Potsdam
+49 (0)331-9694200
+49 (0)331-9694107

Search & book accommodations More information

New Palace in Sanssouci Park

In strong contrast to the intimate Sanssouci Palace, the New Palace served as the venue for official, representational needs. Built by King Frederick II at the western end of Sanssouci Park, it is the largest and most impressive complex in Sanssouci. The Baroque palace gained prominence for its majestic interiors featuring the Marble Hall (Marmorsaal), Grotto Hall (Grottensaal), the Concert Room (Konzertzimmer), and Palace Theatre. Selected works of 18th century art can be viewed in their original context. The New Palace, built from 1763 to 1769, is located at the far end of Hauptallee (the main promenade) in Sanssouci Park, making it the focus of the park. The king rarely stayed here. Instead the palace was mostly used as guest apartments and for celebrations. The recently restored Lower Royal Suite, with its Braided Room, Concert Room, and Oval Cabinet, presents one of Europe’s most luxurious interior décors. Later, William II, the last German emperor, and his family used the New Palace as their preferred place of residence. The New Palace, with over 200 rooms, is the last royal residence Frederick the Great built in his park. It was a demonstration of the Prussian state’s undiminished power and wealth following the Seven Years’ War (1756–1763).
 
In strong contrast to the intimate Sanssouci Palace, the New Palace served as the venue for official, representational needs. Built by King Frederick II at the western end of Sanssouci Park, it is the largest and most impressive complex in Sanssouci. The Baroque palace gained prominence for its majestic interiors featuring the Marble Hall (Marmorsaal), Grotto Hall (Grottensaal), the Concert Room (Konzertzimmer), and Palace Theatre. Selected works of 18th century art can be viewed in their original context. The New Palace, built from 1763 to 1769, is located at the far end of Hauptallee (the main promenade) in Sanssouci Park, making it the focus of the park. The king rarely stayed here. Instead the palace was mostly used as guest apartments and for celebrations. The recently restored Lower Royal Suite, with its Braided Room, Concert Room, and Oval Cabinet, presents one of Europe’s most luxurious interior décors. Later, William II, the last German emperor, and his family used the New Palace as their preferred place of residence. The New Palace, with over 200 rooms, is the last royal residence Frederick the Great built in his park. It was a demonstration of the Prussian state’s undiminished power and wealth following the Seven Years’ War (1756–1763).
 

price

adult
price EUR 8,00
reduced
price EUR 6,00

openinghours

For the period: 01.11.2018 - 31.03.2019
Mon. 10:00 - 16:30
Wed. 10:00 - 16:30
Thu. 10:00 - 16:30
Fri. 10:00 - 16:30
Sat. 10:00 - 16:30
Sun. 10:00 - 16:30
The openinghours will change at 01.04.2019.
With the friendly assistance of:
All information, times and prices are verified and updated on a regular basis. Nonetheless, we cannot assume responsibility for the accuracy of the data. Prior to your visit, we recommend you request the latest information via telephone, email or from the internet pages of the respective provider.
backtop