Marble Palace and New Garden - Majestically strolling by the Heiliger See

Marble Palace © Jan Hoffmann
Landschaftszimmer im Marmorpalais © SPSG/ Wolfgang Pfauder
Ovaler Saal im Marmorpalais © SPSG/ Wolfgang Pfauder

The New Garden is located between the lakes Heiliger See, the Jungfernsee and the Pfingstberg. Here you can admire some architectural pearls: the Orangery, the Dutch "Etablissements", the Shingle House and the Gothic Library. First, Johann August Eyserbeck was entrusted with the task of designing the park, and Peter Joseph Lenné from 1815 onwards.The Marble Palace, in the middle of the park has been almost completely restored and it is the highlight with its early classicist decoration and the artistic arches that are differently designed in each room.
King Frederick William II had the building clad in Silesian marble built as a summer residence. The Marble Palace was built in strict early classicist style in three years and completed in 1793. The architectural planning of the palace was first taken over by Carl von Gontards in 1787 and later by Carl Gotthard Langhans. After the death of Frederick William II, the Palace served again and again as a residential palace for members of the House of Hohenzollern. The original character of the interior has been preserved until this day.In 1945 the palace together with the park and the neighbouring villa quarter ("Forbidden City") fell under Soviet administration. In 1961 the GDR took over the Marble Palace and converted it into an army museum. At this time it was surrounded by cannons, an airplane, a speedboat and other war equipment. At the end of the 1980s, the museum came to an end.

Opening hours:
10:00 - 16:00
10:00 - 16:00





10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30