Picture Gallery in Sanssouci Park

Picture Gallery view into the western wing, Photo: ©SPSG, Hans Bach

This magnificent building was erected between 1755 and 1764 and is the oldest preserved gallery building in Germany. Its master builder was Johann Gottfried Büring. It is located on the east side of Sanssouci Palace and forms the counterpart to the New Chambers. Frederick the Great used it to present his collection of paintings. The collection comprised 180 top works of Flemish and Dutch Baroque painting as well as Italian Renaissance and Baroque. Also antique sculptures were exhibited as well as French sculptures of the 18th century.

During the World War II, in 1942, all paintings were brought to Rheinsberg Palace, from where only ten were returned to the picture gallery in 1946. Many paintings were lost. Only in 1958 did a large number of paintings, confiscated by the Soviet Union, return to Germany. Some of them remain in Russian collections until today.

The exterior of the picture gallery is kept simple, but the interior surprises with its noble design with gilded ornaments on walls and ceilings, as well as precious floors of yellow and white marble, which comes from Herculaneum.

Today you can still see 140 top-class paintings from the 16th to 18th centuries. Among others, the work of Caravaggio with the title " infidel Thomas", five works by Anton van Dycks, seven works by Peter Paul Rubens, among them "holy Hieronymus" and various other well-known artists.
 

Opening hours:
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30
10:00 - 17:30