Built as a summer residence, King Frederick William II. had the building clad in Silesian marble.
The Marble Palace was built in strict early classicist style in three years and completed in 1793. The architectural planning of the palace was first taken over by Carl von Gontards in 1787 and later by Carl Gotthard Langhans, who also planned the famous Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
After the death of Frederick William II., the Palace served several times as a residential palace for members of the House of Hohenzollern. The original character of the interior has been preserved until this day.
In 1945 the palace together with the park and the neighbouring mansion district ("Forbidden City") fell under Soviet administration. In 1961 the GDR took over the Marble Palace and converted it into an army museum. At this time it was surrounded by cannons, an airplane, a speedboat and other war equipment. In 1972 the army museum moved to Dresden. Still some exhibits stayed here until 1989.
Today the Palace is the main attraction beside Cecilienhof Palace within the New Garden. The terrace facing the lake Heiliger See provides a great view to the mansions on the other side of the lake.