King Frederic William II had the Marble House built as a summer residence between 1787 and 1793 and covered it with Silesian marble.
It was built within three years in the meticulous early classicist style and completed in 1793. The architectural planning of the house was first undertaken in 1787 by Carl von Gontard and later by Carl Gotthard Langhans, who also planned the famous Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
After the death of Frederic William II, the house served as a residence for members of the House of Hohenzollern several times. The original character of the interior has been preserved to this day.
In 1945 the house with the park and the adjoining villa quarter ("Forbidden City") fell under Soviet administration. In 1961 the East German government took over the Marble House and converted it into an army museum. At that time it was surrounded by cannons, an airplane, a speedboat and other war equipment. The army museum moved to Dresden in 1972.
Today the house is the main attraction besides the Cecilienhof Country House within the New Garden. Its silhouette is reflected in the Lake Heiliger See. From the terrace of the Marble House there is a wonderful view of the mansions on the other side of the lake.
10:00 - 16:00
Features and categories:
The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.