Nowawes Weavers Cottage

Breitscheidstraße © Stadtteilmuseum Nowaweser Weberstube

The Nowawes Weavers Cottage is located in the heart of Babelsberg in Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 23. The cottage was built in 1752 at the behest of Frederick the Great. It is one of 125 houses of the former Colony Nowawes. In 1755 about 230 Bohemian immigrants lived there, who had left their homeland for religious reasons. Another 450 immigrants of the colony came mainly from Prussia, Saxony, Switzerland and Wuerttemberg. The settlement founded the later village of Nowawes.
 
The two small rooms of the museum tell visitors about the more than 100-year-old history of the villages Nowawes and Neuendorf, about the life of the weavers and spinners and about the flourishing of the villages to the largest industrial location in the district of Teltow. The front room gives an idea of how modest the first inhabitants of the house lived. A large loom fills the room, weaving utensils such as spinning and winding wheels, weaving accessories such as boats and spools document the work equipment.

Opening hours:

13:00 - 16:00
13:00 - 16:00
13:00 - 16:00

Price information:


Getting there:

by bicycle (a service of komoot GmbH)
by public transport (a service of VBB)
by train (a service of Bahn AG)
All about local traffic


Features and categories:

The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.