Orangery Palace in Sanssouci Park
One of the largest palaces in Sanssouci Park is the Orangery Palace, which is 300 metres long. King Frederick William´s IV longing for Italy can clearly be seen in all of his buildings' designs. This also applies to the Orangery Palace. He got inspired by Villa Medici in Rome and Uffizi in Florence on his travels to Italy.
While the wings of the building are empty in summer, they serve as warm shelter for the subtropical potted plants from the park in winter. The two huge plant halls are connected by a magnificent central building with an apartment furnished by the King for guests, especially for his sister Charlotte.
The jewel of the Orangery Palace is the Raphael Hall. More than 50 copies of paintings by the Renaissance painter Raphael (1483–1520), made by young Prussian painters in Paris, hang in this two-storey gallery hall. The Raphael Hall serves as a stylish setting for concerts occasionally.
The towers and the tower galleries of the palace offer a magnificent view over Sanssouci Park, the mill and the Bornstedt crown estate. Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
by bicycle (a service of komoot GmbH)
by public transport (a service of VBB)
by train (a service of Bahn AG)
All about local traffic
Features and categories:
The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.