After the completion of the New Palace in 1769, Frederick the Great had the Belvedere Klausberg erected as part of a beautification plan for Sanssouci Park.
The Belvedere´s construction constituted the King´s last architectural enterprise at Sanssouci.
In keeping with Frederick the Great's wishes, the two-story rotunda, augmented with two balconies and crowned by a dome, was an attempt to reconstruct Emperor Nero's imperial palace in Rome.
The word "Belvedere" translates into "beautiful view". As the first Belvedere in Potsdam, its construction accounted the tradition of establishing architecturally dominant viewpoints in the royal capital residence. The Plateau of the Klausberg hill provides a magnificent view, overlooking Sanssouci Park and the hilly, lake-dotted landscape including the city of Potsdam.
The building, which was plundered in the last days of World War II after a fire, was as a contribution to Germany's Reunification extensively restored and rebuilt.
The Belvedere's exterior and interior were largely repaired and restored. The Upper Hall with its stucco marble, reconstructed ceiling painting in the dome and the oak parquet floor, shines today in former beauty and grandeur.
Features and categories:
The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.