Glienicke Bridge- Where secret agents and secret services used to meet
The Glienicke Bridge is centrally located in the parkland planned by Lenné. It is a beautiful vantage point with a view of Glienicke Palace and Park, Babelsberg Palace and Park as well as Sacrower Heilandskirche (church of the Saviour).
The present bridge dates from 1907. The first connection over the River Havel was already built in the 17th century.
In the Cold War the bridge was cut by the border to West Berlin and used to be closed to the public. Glienicke Bridge became famous as the perfect location for the secret services of the Soviet Union and the United States to exchange arrested spies. After the Wall came down on November 9th in 1989 the bridge was opened on the next day.
Features and categories:
The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.