Alexander Nevski Memorial Church
This Russian Orthodox memorial church was built in the Old Russian architectural style on the orders of King Frederick William III. It was designed by St. Petersburg court architect Vasily Petrovich Stasov with classicist additions by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, a manifesto reflecting the King's desire to celebrate the close ties between Prussia and Russia. Construction work was carried out from 1826 to 1829.
The church stands on Kappellenberg hill not far from the Alexandrovka colony, which was also built especially for the Russian soldiers in Potsdam. Today both the colony and the church form part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Alexander Nevsky Memorial Church is named after the Russian prince canonised in the 16th century.
It is the oldest Russian Orthodox church building in Western Europe.
by bicycle (a service of komoot GmbH)
by public transport (a service of VBB)
by train (a service of Bahn AG)
All about local traffic
Features and categories:
The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.