The Neuer Markt, or New Market, is today regarded as the most attractive square in Potsdam, the capital city of the federal state of Brandenburg. It is one of the best-preserved Baroque squares in Europe, most of its houses dating back to the 18th century.
Here on the west side of the New Market is the House of Brandenburg and Prussian History. This extensive building with its early neoclassical façade was completed in 1790 and for a while served as a stable for coach horses. The ground floor housed the boxes for the roughly one hundred royal coach horses, while above them lived the stable hands and coach boys. These lowly court retainers are immortalized in the crowded group sculpture of the quadriga above the portal – a change from the usual kings and divinities.
Features and categories:
The above entry is a service of TMB Tourismus Marketing Brandenburg GmbH. For content changes please contact Potsdam Marketing and Service GmbH.